Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Stay-cation

Another staycation is happening this week but I hope after today the worst of the work is over and done with.  I’ve finally painted the bathroom and only hope I can walk and use my arm tomorrow!
       My idea this year has been to stay home and enjoy the home that I’ve worked so hard to buy and fix up to a close way of how it should be when I retire.  In a way, I am also practicing what it will be like when I retire, trying to figure out how I should be spending my time other than cutting grass, clipping trees and bushes, cutting grass, weeding the flowers, cutting grass.  You get the picture.  I have a lot of grass.  I contemplate having sheep or goats, just to cut down on the cutting, but that opens up a whole new can of worms.
       But back to the main event, interpreting what retirement might be like.  First and foremost would be contemplating frugality, or the need for conserving savings which can be a death trap to actually doing things.  Once I overcome this fear of elder poverty then I start to think about the things I wish to do.  A little travel is still tempting, with trips overseas in the early years and then to warmer climes as the old bones start to give.  This is the only expensive item on the bucket list.
       Dedicated writing should keep me occupied for part of each day and then the rest of the day would be frolic time.  Frolicking would include visiting or calling friends, gardening, exercise, painting and photography.  My mother is still of the opinion that it is way too early for me to live such a lifestyle but I am getting closer to the point of proving her wrong.
       I have just begun a new Thomas H. Cook “The Quest for Anna Klein” which is narrated by an elderly gentleman.  Some of his observations on life are a little disturbing and make me question the pattern of one’s life.  After all, what is better, to have lived a life of adventure and mistakes, or to have lived sheltered and quiet?  When I look out at my green garden, with the trees gently swaying in the early morning breeze, I think there is nothing better than a tranquil life.  When I even attempt to think about hustle and bustle the picture that comes to mind is crowds, noise, dishevelment and I shudder.  No, I don’t think that I am cut out for high adventure despite youthful fantasies.
       I must be getting old.

No comments:

Post a Comment