Monday, July 9, 2012

Backup the Backup

You’ve probably seen the latest series of bathroll commercials where the husband is lectured on “backing up the backup”.  This morning as I experience the thrill of having my computer back I am thinking the same thought “backup the backup” as I would really cry if I could not retrieve all my hard work because of a computer failure.  While my tech was finishing the install yesterday I questioned him on the advisability of switching to a Mac but his thought was that whether I had a PC or a Mac the chances of the computer lasting beyond the 3 year “life” was about equal.  Is it any wonder that the owners of Microsoft and Apple are some of the wealthiest men on the planet?  They have a guaranteed market every 3 years or so for a product that is in excess of $500.  My parents bought a television set in 1957 which we had in top working condition for over 40 years despite more than 15 moves across this country.  When we finally got rid of the set it was still working and we gave it to a used furniture store.
       We “can’t” make a computer to last longer than equipment made back in the 50’s?  I just want a computer to do my word processing, store my pictures and occasionally go on the internet to look up Wikipedia and a few stories.  I am not a gamer or an internet junkie.  I’m not asking for much, just that a piece of equipment should last longer than 3 years given that it cost over $1,000.  I’m sure I’m not alone in this thought.
       Please Mr. Gates, Mr. Job, et al, give us a break.

No comments:

Post a Comment