Wednesday, January 1, 2014

A Life Review


I had written a mini-bucket list for my 60th year and have already missed 3 events so I will have to scramble to squeeze 9 into the next 6 months.  I am suggesting to myself that I need to post them on the calendar so I don’t forget about them.  It really is quite disturbing how easily I seem to forget things and gosh, I’m only 60!  I’m sure I will find the lost Christmas items some time in June but despite a thorough search of likely hiding places I was unable to find them.  No wonder I couldn’t remember something so little as going to theatre Calgary in December (which couldn’t have happened even if I had remembered as the weather certainly got in the way of any of those types of activities).

Ah well, time marches on whether we like it or not.

All in all I have had a very successful year and look forward to further fulfillment in the new year.  One of the things that I have plucked out of “Prime Time” is doing my own life review my own way.  Not for me the soul searching on character (why question the perfect?) but rather evaluating what I have accomplished in 6 decades.
The greatest of these is possibly the fact that I have been a Working Woman for 42 years; taking only a partial break while I went to university for 3 whirlwind years.  I’ve had a colourful career in several different sectors (industry, insurance, law, engineering, and oil & gas).  I had a long stint in a family business co-founding 2 very different types of companies.  During my working career I have worked with hundreds of people and made a few friends along the way.  I’ve helped people through marital woes and I’ve been part of 3 major projects building facilities in the north.  I’ve worked in accounting, in secretarial pools, as an office manager, as a project administrator, in marketing and as a paralegal.  I have thrown my hat in the political ring and stayed true to my party colours for 45 years.  I’ve written speeches and I’ve written marketing copy.  I’ve composed legal briefs and compiled documentation and taken my cases to court.  I’ve had judges try to frown me down for standing without “legal representation” and I was still standing at the end of the day.  I’ve stood up to bullying and made the bully accountable.  I’ve been through more than one legal circus and I’ve made more than one lawyer blink.  And yes, I have even made a television commercial and I have been part of several awards in business.  Let’s just say that I’ve had one very colourful career.

No comments:

Post a Comment