Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Wednesday - Just Marching On


The middle of the week and quickly approaching the middle of the month – how time marches onward.  Forget about the state of the world, forget about everything except that today is here. 

The other day my mother asked me “do you really want to live to be 90”?  I looked at her in puzzlement and replied “the alternative is very unpleasant” to which she began to laugh.

We were having breakfast together, which we enjoyed throughout the holidays.  A sit-down breakfast is really very delightful if both parties are cheerful when they get up.  I understand that many people do not like breakfast table chitchat but I quite enjoy it (probably because I have usually already been up for an hour or so before I sit down to the breakfast table with Mother).

Over the holidays we had a lot of time together and it’s still surprising to hear a new story about her life or something she remembered about my father.  We watched the old Danish series “Matador” and Mom would remember things from the war by something that was happening on the show.  She said that during the war they had more snow than she remembered before or since and isn’t it odd that other wars have also had that in common.  It’s as though Mother Nature conspires against humanity in times when there are going to be shortages of food or fuel.  How is that possible?

Sometimes the best of intentions are foiled by things beyond our control.  But we just keep marching on.

No comments:

Post a Comment