Saturday, January 4, 2014

Focus - or Getting Tough on One's Self


Sometimes some of my younger friends tell me that they admire me because I appear to always be doing something.  I feel a little embarrassed because I know how little I actually accomplish.  It’s embarrassing to tabulate how many hours I sit in front of the television or simply sit.  Be it resolved annually, monthly, weekly or daily, I find myself still sitting around.  How many others have this problem?  When one thinks about the variety of activities available to us, because we have so much more free time than our grandparents, isn’t it embarrassing to find that opportunities are under-utilized, to put it mildly?

Here it is the third last day of my 2 weeks vacation and I have still not opened up my Spanish lessons and I have only been on the treadmill 3 times.  What’s up with that?  Okay, I did spend quite a bit of time making cards but did I send out my full mailing list?  No, I say in a whisper, head hung low.

Yes, I am being harsh with myself but if I can be lax now what am I going to be like when I have 24 hours 7 days a week to fill?  Am I going to become a couch potato?  I shudder at the thought.  Sometimes when a person makes a comment and you are feeling a bit embarrassed, perhaps you should turn your focus inward and ask yourself why you are feeling thus.  It’s easy to take a long lens and say I have accomplished a lot in my life but in the full scheme of things, one should take a look at day to day activities and ask how much is quality time?  One cannot expect a quality retirement if we can’t have a quality vacation.

And how did you spend your Christmas break?

No comments:

Post a Comment