Monday, January 6, 2014

Quality of Aging, and a Challenge


I’ve finished Jane Fonda’s “Prime Time” which I found okay.  Most of what she wrote about was regurgitated material and often written from an almost naive point of view (as in not really knowing the ins and outs of those living a marginal life).  Nevertheless there were some points that I enjoyed and over all I like that she is thinking along similar lines to myself insofar as working towards a Quality of Aging.  In my opinion the financial aspects of retirement and aging is only a piece of the pie albeit an important piece.

Most people only consider that part of the retirement package when there is so much more to consider.  While reading Jane’s book I found myself thinking about my friends and colleagues and wondering if they were considering what new hobbies they were going to take up, or what old ones they would unearth and build upon.  I double checked the “free university for seniors” and can confirm that yes, one can still go back to school for free once you hit 65.  You can get an annual bus pass for a nominal fee so a person will be able to get out and about.  There are tons of places still looking for volunteers.  There are a lot of things a person can do for free or for a nominal fee but my observation is that most seniors don’t do any of those things.  Rather, they may go to a coffee shop and chat but otherwise, not a lot of activity going on.  My own mother is an example, very solitary and only reading the same old things.  Short of a shotgun to her head I’m afraid I cannot change her.

So why am I writing all this, which I am ashamed to admit is not new information?  Because I cannot help worrying about people.  Besides working on my mini-bucket list I am giving myself a new challenge.  I am going to try something new each month of 2014 – and I have a plan but if I tell it I am going to have to you know what.

Happy puzzling!

No comments:

Post a Comment