Monday, April 16, 2012

Surprise Roommate

My readers have likely been wondering why I have been silent for the last few days.  The fact is that I have been terribly busy because I now have a new roommate.  On Wednesday night I got a call from my mother announcing that she was finally ready to move.  Oh, when?  Tomorrow.  Where?  Your house.  Fortuntely I was lying down when she made the announcement.
       Just joking.
       The truth is that all 6 of us siblings have been vying for my mother since my father passed away 11 years ago but she was pretty stuck on staying where she was.  But the last few months she had started to say she was ready to move but just couldn’t make up her mind.  I told her that she needed to give us some warning so we could prepare and that was The Plan.  You know how it seems to go when I have to have a Plan.  Things always go awry. 
       So here we are, me moving things out of rooms, my sister and nephew moving things in for Mom.  Then there was groceries to bring in.  Orientation of the kitchen.  In between we had to lie down to recruit our strength.  Then there were dishes, dishes, dishes to be washed.  My mother is a fanatic about having a clean kitchen and no dirty dishes in the sink.
       I got on the scale for the first time in five days and was considerably nervous to look down.  Luckily it was status quo but only by a miracle.  Mom is cooking great dinners for me but they are healthy with fruit desserts so that is probably why I haven’t gained (yet).  I am being spoiled rotten and loving it.
       I am also super popular with the siblings now.  My phone has been ringing non-stop since the word got out that Mom is here.  Of course, I have to turn the phone over to Mom after one sentence but that’s okay. 
       The pets are having a hard time adjusting, or so I thought until I noticed Thumper siddle up to Mom and meow for a petting.  I told Mom she should be delighted since it took Erik a year to get to that point with Thumper.  And he’s the friendly one!

No comments:

Post a Comment