Thursday, April 5, 2012

What is Happiness?

What is happiness? 
In one sense it is simply being relieved of care.  When one is under particular stress all that would make them happy is “not having a care in the world”.  More often though happiness is a state of being uplifted.  It is said that serotonin is one of the key chemicals in the brain that affects whether or not we have depression.  Going one step further if you have plenty of serotonin one is likely to be a happy person.  But even if you have a lot of serotonin if you have too many worries happiness will be elusive.
Happiness is not the material world, those are pleasant things to have and naturally if one has money it is one less worry a person has.  If one has a good boss that is another stress gone.  If one has good relations with one’s family, again, no stress there.  If a person has one good friend, they are rich in what matters.  If the sun is shining, the world is smiling.
Attempting to write about happiness I find myself pondering what makes me happy and I find myself saying that as long as there are no complications in my life any small thing will make me happy.  Even if there are concerns looming, if I can put them away for a while, then I can be happy watching my pets groom themselves or looking at my flourishing ivy plant.  Just a little effort can bring a person happiness.
I recommend you try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment