Friday, April 27, 2012

Vegging Out with My Mom


This week has been a weird one for Mom and I.  When I come home I just want to be a couch potato (nothing new there) but my Mom declares she is tired also.  We were supposed to collaborate on a training program but instead we are tired and brain dead.   This has got to stop.

       The number one key to longevity is a joy of life but if a person becomes a permanent couch potato I cannot see much joy in that.  So here I go, developing another famous Plan.  This morning I have been sitting in front of the computer petting one of the cats, drinking coffee and allowing my mind to roam the universe of possibilities.  Surely there is something that will give us the impetus to get going.

       Meanwhile I think that it is nice to just sit with my Mom and hold her hand as we talk during commercials.  I feel pampered when she asks me “what would you like for supper tomorrow night?” even as my tummy is full of the nice dinner I just consumed and internally I think “not now, I only want crackers tomorrow”.  I believe I am well suited to having my mother around because I have never gotten out of my habit of coming directly home from school (I mean work).  Mom knows that I am as dependable as clockwork when it comes to punctuality and habits.  She tells me she hasn’t got the kitchen down pat so the food isn’t on the table immediately when I get in the door. 

       “Mom” I say “I don’t expect to come into the house and gobble down food immediately!  I need to wind down for 10 minutes or so at least before I have to eat”.

       “I’m used to being able to have it done to the minute when your father came home.”

       At work yesterday we went out for lunch and one of the ladies said that lunch would also be her supper and I piped up “I gave my mother slash cook the night off” which was meant as a joke but after Mom’s comment I felt like I was being a task master and I can see that it will be all too easy to become a tyrant.

       Having a roommate is an adjustment.

No comments:

Post a Comment