Tuesday, April 3, 2012

April is here, is spring far behind?

      I’m back from 5 days away in NYC and I’m glad to find that the weather here is as nice as in the east.  The tulips and cherry blossoms were out in full force and yesterday we had this fantastic misty type of rain that does wonders for the complexion and depending on your hair, it can get very curly.  Here my day lilies are coming up in the front and my tulips are showing about one inch above ground.  But at least there wasn’t any snow on the ground when we landed.
      Living in Southern Alberta is very challenging when it comes to weather because we never know if we should get excited and start pulling out our spring or summer things because we can get hit by frost or snow in any month of the year.  But this year it does seem to me that I feel the weather has changed for the better and we are going to have a mild spring and summer.  When I reflect on the past few springs that weren’t, well, I can only say that I hope I am right.
      So what does a person do when a mild spring is on the horizon?  Haul out the potting pots, the potting soil and start going over the seeds.  Uncoil the outdoor hoses and start sprinkling down the trees and grass.  Start inspecting the flowerbeds and raking up the leaves that somehow didn’t get raked last fall.  It’s too early to feel the heat coming out of the ground but I can see little green specks of this and that coming up.  That’s promising.  Walk around the property and start hauling dead branches and twigs to the wood pile and at the same time determine which trees need chopping down or just a trimming.
      Spring is a time of bustling activity and anticipation of warm days ahead.  Oh, and did I mention, it’s time to get out the running shoes and start jogging again.  I knew there was a catch somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment