Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Adios Mother

The house will seem very strange tonight when I get home from work since my mother will be gone on her vacation.  Ten days to fend for myself, no more suppers ready and waiting when I get home, no companionship while watching television, no encouragement to do my exercise.  How easy it is to become dependent on someone!
       More important is how strange that prior to my mother moving in I did not realize how alone I was.  In studying up on my retirement plans there has been emphasis on the social aspect when going into retirement.  All along I have been concerned about leaving the social circle within my work environment without giving any thought to my current circumstances on the home front.  Sometimes things will be staring you in the face but you still don’t see it.
       Today I sit here thinking about taking people for granted which is a phrase we hear often yet how often do we ignore the truth.  Last night I gave my mother a big hug because I wouldn’t wake her up at the ungodly hour of 4 a.m. to say goodbye.  This morning I feel like going into her room and just hugging her anyway but of course I don’t want to give her a heart attack either!
       Take a mental check of the people around you and ask yourself if you have told them how much they mean to you.  Then tell them again.  It means the world to them to hear even the tiniest word of appreciation.  You know it’s true because you know how much you smile when someone says “good on you” or “you rock”.  So go out there today and make someone smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment