Monday, April 1, 2013

The Price of Milk

I have inherited my father’s inability to tolerate lineups.  My father was wont to say “I’m going to faint” when it looked like he might have to be in a lineup.  As a result my parents rarely went out to the movies except if it was a drive-in.  My father would go into a different store or wait in the car when my mother went grocery shopping, at least when it came to standing at the cash.  The older I get the more I resemble my father in this inability.  But at a price.      
       The other day I went to the grocery store to get some water and milk.  2 tills were open and both had lineups.  I thought “I can do this” but I was the 5th customer in line and after 3 minutes there was still no movement from the first customer, who only had 3 items.  Something was critically wrong and I felt my adrenaline pumping.  The anxiety adrenaline.  I was out of there in a flash.  No milk for me that day.
       The next day company was coming so I thought I would simply go to the gas station grocery store and pick up a bottle of milk and one of cream.  I handed the cashier a $20 and got back a 5 and 2 toonies.  Gulp.  A bottle of milk and cream cost me $11.00.  Seriously.
       That’s the price when you don’t want to stand in a lineup. 
       I nearly fainted.

No comments:

Post a Comment