Wednesday, April 10, 2013

One, Two, Three . . . Go

Now I have had it.  Again.
       I am not a smoker, never have been, but I am sick and tired of the way the new moral majority has taken to ostracizing smokers.  Shame on you.  This morning there was a poll that indicated that 68% were in favour of banning smoking in the outdoors. Period.  Are you kidding me?  At what point will people stop to think about what they are doing to smokers?  How righteous do they think they are by segregating a group of people because of something they do?
       I am watching Downton Abbey and I see how zealously Isabel Crawley is trying to help prostitutes recover their self respect.  I am sure that the folks watching this program are sympathetic to Ethel’s plight (if not, shame on you).  If one can be sympathetic to a fallen woman then why can one not have compassion for those who have fallen into the bad habit of smoking?  Are you really going to make me believe that smokers are irritating you to the extent that you don’t want them smoking in a park? 
       Well let me get on the band wagon then.  I want to put duct tape on teenage kids who get on the C-train at Heritage and yells, scream, giggle, shout and curse at one another for the next 6 stops.  My nerves cannot take it.  I am pretty sure that there are others on the train who feel the same way.   I hear a sigh and see rolling or squinting eyes as we come to the stop.  Better yet, let’s bring the strap back into the schools and teach these hooligans a lesson.
       You see what I mean?  It only takes one nutbar to start a whole thing going.  Politically it’s cool to harass smokers.  I think it’s weak and barbaric.  If you want to stop smoking don’t be such a namby pampy hypocrite.  Stop the manufacturers from putting chemicals in the tobacco which causes nicotine addiction.  Let’s go after those big tax paying companies, shall we?  Right, I didn’t think so.
       If we keep this up we are going to next see them charging extra for smokers in the hospitals.  If you can’t see what is happening here then I don’t know what else I can say, except that eventually something that you are doing may turn on you.  Be careful what you wish for.  And you might also think a little bit about our Christian values.       
He who is without sin . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment