Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Where Would I Live?

Day Five in Honolulu

This morning I asked myself the question, where would you live if you could choose a place without any consideration for cost or politics?  The reason for the question arose out of my sense of smell.  It seems to me that tropical, humid, beach front places have a musty kind of smell, almost like fish.  I don't know if that is correct but it certainly wouldn't be pleasant to have type of concern in one's home.  One of the things I learned about Hawaii is that there are no snakes here and the bugs are all benign unless you are allergic to them (i.e. scorpions & spiders are not dangerous).  So far I have not seen anything creepy here; as I recall I was startled in Cuba by the lizards crawling all over the place!
Sitting here on the balcony in Honolulu, surf noises aside, it is similar to being in San Francisco or NYC.  Shops, cars, restaurants . . . and guests.  That is another thing I learned, in Hawaii we are not called tourists, we are guests.   That is heartwarming.
Now the birds have flown on to the table to say good morning, where's the breakfast?  I just love that, being so unafraid of humans and so trusting.  I am sure that if this was my home I would not find it charming to have birds in my food!  The difference between vacation layback and day to day living may be a sharp contrast for some of us.
The answer to my question - Denmark.

No comments:

Post a Comment