Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Hawaiian Island Tour

Tours are always interesting but when you have a guide with a wonderful sense of humour your trip becomes golden.  Such was the trip we experienced today.  "Cousin James" was delightful and knowledgeable and to top it off he had a chuckle that was irresistible.  I read James Michener's novel "Hawaii" many, many years ago and found it very interesting but I must admit there is still a lot of the history of the island that is unfamiliar to me.  It's fascinating to say the least.

And let's not neglect that absolute gorgeousness of this island.  There are so many different kinds of trees that it boggles the mind.  Who knew there were so many different kinds of palm trees?  Who knew that pineapples are plants (and not grown on trees)?  Who knew that agriculture on Oahu has declined to the point of destroying the sugar cane industry?  Who knew an 8 foot cane of sugar produces only 1 tablespoon of sugar?  I learned so much in 8 hours that was interesting, amusing and fun.  

And we haven't even touched on the Hollywood aspect.  We saw the locations for Lost, 50 First Dates, Gilligan's Island, Magnum P.I., Hawaii 5-0, and Jurassic Park, to name a few.  Cool.  

And who knew that pineapple ice cream tasted so good?  

Have I mentioned how much I love tropical vacations?  Even when it rains, it's fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment