Monday, April 15, 2013

Hawaii Here I Come

Annette Funicello passed away last week but I still remember the Beach Blanket movies where I first was introduced to surfing.  Between Annette and Sandra Dee I followed the popular 60’s teenage trend to long for surfing.  I wanted to go to Hawaii or California and “catch a wave”.  Well, the years have rolled by and I must admit even if my body was up to catching a wave my psyche is not.
       In my 20’s I read James Michener’s epic “Hawaii” and a whole new fascination of the island began.  Living in the rather harsh and uninteresting climate of Canada I longed to see palm trees, jungle, surf and sand.  I was 55 before I saw my first tropical island, Cuba.  Since then I have been to Mexico and Ecuador but at long last I find myself counting down 4 more sleeps until I land in Honolulu.  I am thrilled at the thought of getting off the plane and receiving my lei and will actually be shattered if the custom no longer exists.
       The unknown is the exotic; the familiar becomes humdrum.
       Even as I anticipate I dread disappointment.   I remind myself, be open hearted, expect little and everything will surprise you.

No comments:

Post a Comment