Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Stem Cell Research

An opinion poll this morning gave 5 possible answers regarding stem cell research with the information that Canada allows research on discarded human embryos (for in vitro) but will not allow embryos made for the purpose.  Right away one has to ask the question – whose to stop someone from cheating on that criterion (that was my thought as I read the multiple choice answers).  I was surprised that Canada does allow research on embryos but it’s not a topic that I am familiar with.  I had thought that stem cell research was being done on placenta only.
       I look at it this way – once you start experimenting on humans you have gone too far because the fact is that the moment you step over that threshold you have desensitized research.  What real difference is there between an in vitro embryo and one in the womb if it is alive?  There’s danger in going too far with human experimenting and putting a label on it called “in the name of science” does not stop it from being evil.
       When I was barely 16 years old I read a book called “Hitler’s Ovens” (also published under the title “Five Chimneys”) and in it the author Olga Lengyel wrote about her imprisonment in Auschwitz.  She was a doctor and was forced to work with Dr. Mengele.  She documented some of the experiments he did on women and children.  Needless to say this book had an incredible impact on me.
       I believe in science, I believe in research but I believe in humanity more.

No comments:

Post a Comment