Friday, April 26, 2013

Know Your City

So here is my experience when travelling anywhere in the world - no one knows their own city.  Whenever I have had occasion to ask for directions, for a bus route, or something like that the sales clerks in the various stores never, ever, know what bus to take.  I believe this is also correct in Canada.  If you ask them what the population of their city is, rarely do they know.  They have never thought about it.  

As I observed folks getting on the city bus this morning I wondered if these were people on vacation, if they were "guests" and from their my thoughts morphed to "what is the meaning of life"?  People were stopping at the Pearl Harbour Memorial Centre but even more were stopping at the mall. There is so much at the mall and I wondered, why do we buy so much stuff? We decorate our homes, we buy toys of every kind, we buy clothes, we buy, buy, buy.  Is it really retail therapy, does buying make us feel good?  Do we go to the mall to avoid our real life? Our thoughts? Our relatives?

Just a little blip of wondering while I enjoyed my vacation.  Watching the boats in the bay outside our condo, wondering about the owners' lives - it must be amazing to live in Hawaii.

Vacation - it's wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment