Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Addiction

Forget about philosophy and let’s talk about addiction.  Specifically, shopping.  I didn’t think I had a problem but I am looking at a stack of Christmas cards on my filing cabinet that needs to be explained!  I mentioned a while back that I have always loved notepaper and note cards.  I also told you about this wonderful new store called Papyrus.  Folks, I have become addicted.  I look at the cards and each box is more beautiful than the last one.  I cannot help myself.
Okay, that is a bit dramatic but you get my drift.
Now we are simply talking about a few little bits of paper with sparkle.  Can you imagine having harmful addictions like drinking, gambling, drugs and so on?  If I can’t break the habit of buying some silly cards how can I be unsympathetic towards someone who has a truly serious addiction?  Think about all the people who make New Year’s resolutions to go on a diet (apparently this is the number one resolution) and that most of these resolutions are broken before the end of the month.  We think that a donut or chocolate bar won’t kill us and yet obesity is a growing concern in our nation and heart attacks are now the number one killer of women. 
When we look at someone critically because they are overweight, are inebriated or have a cigarette in their hand we should examine our own conscience (and closets) and just see what little old addiction is clinging to us before we put on our haloes.  Maybe having too many Christmas cards isn’t the worst thing in the world, but it certainly has me thinking about why I feel compelled to buy every pretty one I see!
Is it addiction or compulsion?  Avarice?  Fear of never having anything again?  Whatever the cause it certainly indicates a fragility I would rather not admit to.  It is humbling but I really hope I don’t have to go to a meeting and say “Hello, my name is Sanne and I am a Christmas Card addict”.  My solution is to do a Christmas Card exchange with my friends so we can all have some pretty cards to share with our non-mutual friends. 
Well . . . I’m trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment