Sunday, January 1, 2012

New Beginnings for 2012

I am not big on resolutions, most years I don’t even make any but it is nice to start a new year with some fresh ideas and enthusiasm.  Last year I wrote a bit about how I felt with resolutions; that one should seize the moment rather than wait for a milestone date to start something.  I still believe that, however it doesn’t hurt to turn over a fresh page simply in attitude.  When one goes back to work after the holidays it is nice to feel a little more energy is going with you to the office
            I am also not one to lay a lot of faith in predictions although I enjoy listening to some of them.  I am pretty basic in believing if you guess enough things you are bound to hit the mark once in a while (this is sometimes called the Jeane Dixon effect).  So for me what I expect from 2012 is more political scandal (how hard can it be to go wrong on this one?), the Canadiens will take home in the Stanley Cup (it could happen!) and it is going to rain in June in Alberta.
            But with a new year started I would like to take a new approach with my blog.  I will try to build some structure into it and fly by the seat of my pants as I so frequently do!  Brace yourself for some philosophy, life lessons, quality lives, rhapsody to nature, childhood adventures, poets, humour, the material world, what women really want (not Mel Gibson), Growing Old vs Growing Up and  . . . the journey thus far.
            If the structure appears a bit heavy ease your mind, having read me for the past year you know that this cannot last, that the humour and irony of life will pop up whether I try to suppress it or not!  For the last week I have been reading Emerson (oh yes, I am starting off on a heavy foot) and this morning the old chap has inspired me to wax eloquent on Friendship.
            Not only have you heard of a Fair Weather Friend but you have most likely experienced that sort of “friendship” in the course of your life.  You may also have been betrayed by a friend or thought you had a friend when really you were met with opportunism.  Emerson consoles us with this thought “it never troubles the sun that some of his rays fall wide and vain into ungrateful space . . . If he (the lost friend) is unequal, he will presently pass away; but thou art enlarged by thy own shining”.  Some friendships may be transient but rather than regret the passing of a friendship simply think about what was good while it lasted and then bless yourself for those friendships that are unshakeable and true.
            I am blessed with a circle of friends that are true and faithful.  I quote again “if you have one friend you are rich.  I’m rich.” 
            Isn’t that a great note to start 2012 on?

No comments:

Post a Comment