Friday, January 13, 2012

Blog, Blog, Blog


Do you know how daunting it is to sit at your computer and try to compose a worthy article that people would enjoy reading?  Notice I use the word “article” as opposed to “blog” because I want this to be SERIOUS.  When you speak about “blogging” people don’t seem to take it with the same awed expression as when you say “I’ve just written an article for People magazine” or some such thing.  In any event I seem to going through a dryspell wherein I am flogging away in my dark cavernous brain trying to find something that will twig with me.  Not my audience, but with me. 

Am I getting bored?  Not at all.  I love writing.  But for some reason the moment is not coming upon me they way it was before Christmas.

I sit here in my office, surrounded by paper, by books, by other people’s ideas and still – nothing.  My lightbulb moment is not happening.

There’s Stephen King looking reproachfully at me from the bottom shelf; there’s Anne Morrow Lindberg on the shelf above and above that I see Byron, Keats and Shelley looking very stoic in purple.  Groan.  Ah, Emily Dickinson how refreshing but really, no, I cannot think about poetry when I am in crisis.

So, are you enjoying my babble about this grey matter Hercule Poirot called “his little grey cells”?  I thought not.

Lest you think that this little ramble just happened, well, no it did not.  The reason why I am writing this idiocy and planning on posting this in the morning is that tonight I happened to stumble upon Meg Tilly’s Blog.  That’s right, THE Meg Tilly.  And therefore I am undaunted by this rather mundane little ramble (but I do promise not to make it a habit) because when a celebrity of Meg’s calibre can run off on a tangent then I feel liberated to do the same thing. 

For those who may be unaware, Meg Tilly is not just a Canadian actress of note, but she is also a truly talented author.  I found her book “Singing Songs” poignant.  In other words, I have respect for her work.  At the same time, her blog was not intimidating to me and so I can sit here and write words that may not mean very much in the scheme of things but I mean them as encouragement for those who wish to write, find that blank screen horrifying and walk away.

Don’t do it.  Write your thoughts, however random they may be.  Post or not to post; that isn’t important.  What is important is that if you want to write, just write.  My authority – does it really matter?  Your own permission is permission enough.

So I guess I did have some thoughts tonight.  Who knew?

No comments:

Post a Comment