Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Oscar, Oscar, Oscar

We have some interesting Oscar hopefuls this year and all I can say is Rooney Mara.  This girl put in an absolutely astounding performance as Lizabeth Salander in “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo”.  When she was cast in the part instead of Natalie Portman who I thought would be excellent in the role I was dubious of this unknown (to me) actress.  Her performance is so intense and I really hope she comes out a winner.  This is her first time out and she is up against really stiff competition, the always incomparable Meryl Streep and Glenn Close and strong contenders Michelle Williams and Viola Davis.  It will be an exciting evening on this score alone.
Less thrilling is the actor category but I am leaning towards Gary Oldman who has put in many strong performances in years past.  However, I have an early suspicion that Brad Pitt may get this one due to “other reasons”.  Wink.
I’ve always adored Nick Nolte so seeing his name as a nominee for best supporting – well he has my vote.  I don’t have an opinion on the actress but I loved, loved, loved The Help.
I’ve been watching the Oscars since 1969 when Katherine Hepburn and Barbra Streisand tied for Best Actress and I am pretty darn good at Trivial Pursuit “pink”!
Are you up for the challenge?

1 comment:

  1. I think the chick from 'The Help' will take best supporting (if Meryl doesn't snag another one) but other than that, I'm pretty out of the loop this year. Might go and see 'Tinker Tanker Soldier' at the cheap theatre next week.
    PS - I am terrible at Trivial Pursuit 'pink' (unless the question is about dumbo)

    ReplyDelete