Friday, January 20, 2012

Comedy in Life

If you can’t see the funny things in life then life isn’t worth living.  Who wants to cry all the time?
Do you ever wonder at the miracle of surviving rush hour traffic?  In fact, these days I certainly wonder how some people ever got a driver’s license.  It seems as though as soon as a person acquires an SUV they feel so empowered that they can speed through a blizzard with only one hand on the steering wheel and the pedal to the metal racing past the ones who, albeit armed with winter tires, are driving at a cautions 100 km in the 110 km zone because – oh let’s say there’s the potential of black ice down the road, there are white out conditions, and hey, a semi truck driver was killed in a rollover the day before on that exact stretch of road.  Does that give the SUV driver pause to think?  Apparently not.
My precaution this week has been to leave at the ungodly hour of 4:45 a.m. to make the trek to Calgary.  Miracle of miracles, the SUV driver is still abed.  It has been great driving the highway, despite the menace of slick conditions, I can drive at 90 km without anyone being up my rear end.  Once I hit Calgary the other – cautious – drivers are leaving lots of space before and after me.  Oh my but this is great.  The down side?  Well sure, I am in the office one hour before anyone else but avoiding the nutbars on the road is worth it!
What is there to laugh it in this saga of stupid drivers?  Not much, but I do see the humour in having to get up so early in order to avoid things that I find more and more difficult with each passing year.  I am getting so like my dad it isn’t all that funny [visions of his other habits worry me].  My dad left home at 5 a.m. in order to get to Toronto before anyone else was on the road – back in the 1960’s believe me, no one else was awake (except his kids)!  My dad hated driving more than anyone I ever knew.  He would not deviate from the prescribed route for anything.  When Mom was driving with him (and she usually was) she would suggest that they turn off to go to the Danish bakery.  Not in the program that day so nope, he wouldn’t make the turn.  Gee, my sisters will tell you that that sounds awfully familiar to them when I am doing the driving. 
The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree . . . and with age, look out, it becomes even more apparent. 

No comments:

Post a Comment