Thursday, January 12, 2012

My Father's Persistence

One of the things that I remember about my father is his lack of patience with lineups.  When he was little he actually fainted once when he was in a line-up at a movie theatre!
My father was one of those persistent people who could nag his parents unbelievably until he hoped to get what he wanted.  They, however, did not give in.  It must have been a terrible trial for his parents to listen to him because he wouldn’t give up and they wouldn’t give in.  When he was about seven years old he got it into his head that he wanted a boat.  His father was a sailor and they often went down to the harbour to look at the ships and boats.  My father had heard about a boat which he could get for “cheap” (it was just a little row boat) and he had saved up money from his errand boy job so he had enough money.
“Far, I want a boat.” He said for the umpteenth time.
His father looked down at him, looked out at the Limfjord (this is the sound that splits Denmark in 2) and then said “You can have a boat when you learn to swim.”
My father took one look at his father, one look at the Limfjord and jumped in then and there!  I don’t know who was more astonished of the two as Dad floundered about in the water or as his father looked on in amazement as he tried to swim.
He got his boat.
My father started his earning “career” when he was 7.  He was an errand boy for a grocer and he would ride one of those large bicycles with the delivery carriage on the back of it.  He rode it all over the town and between that and the fact that he talked to everyone he soon knew everyone in the town.  Years later when his sister was visiting us from Denmark they sat up long into the night catching up on this person and that person and finally my mother asked “did you know everyone in Norresundby” and both of them turned to her, smiled and said “yes”!

No comments:

Post a Comment