Sunday, January 22, 2012

Law & Order


Yesterday my sister told me a true story that occurred locally.  I wonder what you think of it.

A young lady owns a pub, comes home every evening with a large amount of cash because the night deposit is not open.  One particular night after she came home the woman who lives across the street from her banged on her door and yelled

“Please let me in, he’s beating me.  I need help.”

She lets the woman in.  She calls the police.  The police attend at her home.  The police tell the pub owner that she “must” keep the woman overnight.  The pub owner doesn’t want to, the woman is a stranger plus she smells of alcohol.  The police insist she has a responsibility to keep the woman safe.  The pub owner caves in.

The police leave.  After a while the pub owner goes to sleep (presumably the strange woman goes to sleep too).  In the morning, the pub owner’s truck is gone and so is her money.  The police deny any responsibility in the situation.

So, what do you think? 

I find the whole scenario incredible.  I don’t think the police can make a person take someone into their home.  If they do, then how can they deny responsibility when the Good Samaritan is robbed?  Why wouldn’t the police take the husband to jail and let the woman go back into the home?

My sister is positive this is a true story (without going into details, I believe her).  I am aghast.

No comments:

Post a Comment