Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Recovering my Equilibrium

Three days into philosophy has me looking with foreboding on my calendar where it indicates there are 31 days in January.  Why couldn’t I have picked this theme for February? 
            As I spoke on Friendship and Inconsistency I will take a whack at History according to Emerson.  I rather like some of what he wrote here as he felt that we are one with history.  As each generation develops we gather the learnings unto ourselves.  I am not in agreement with this being the case for all of mankind although we certainly utilize the inventions as they develop, in fact we are incredibly adept at taking on the new as evidenced by our debt for each new bell and whistle that comes along!  However I don’t believe Society learns much from one generation to another insofar as becoming more civilized in the true sense of the word.
            There are plenty of people who read the Self-Help, New Age, Philosophy and other kinds of books that come out.  Some truly take the messages to heart and live by the “new” revelations.  For instance Ellen DeGeneres is so enthusiastic about “The Four Agreements” that she gives the book to friends and acquaintances.  I read about this book and Ellen’s love for it in O magazine nearly 10 years ago and promptly went out and bought it.  It is a simple and yet a powerful little book with some great ideas for simplifying one’s pain in life especially as it relates to other people inflicting pain on to you.  I particularly liked the description of the other person’s poison and the advice not to take it to yourself.  I am quite sensitive to bad conduct and take it very personally so I constantly have to practice second agreement “don’t take anything personally.
            If you haven’t read The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz I highly recommend this book.  Once you have read it I recommend that you refresh yourself with it at least once a year to remind yourself on how to live your life with serenity.
1.     Be impeccable with your word
2.     Don’t take anything personally
3.     Don’t make assumptions
4.     Always do your best
These are simple guidelines but if you have certain tendencies it takes a lot of practice to stay on the straight and narrow path. 

No comments:

Post a Comment