Thursday, October 20, 2011

Daily Routines

Not finding stuff on the internet makes me crazy, not getting access to my site makes me crazy.  I can understand why people were upset when their blackberries weren’t operating.  When one had a daily routine and it becomes disrupted it can be irritating and throw a person’s whole day out of kilter.
Daily routines can become almost sacred even for a normal person not diagnosed with ADHD or another one of those compulsive disorders.  For instance if you are accustomed to a morning cup of coffee and suddenly you discover there is no more coffee in the house it can set you in a tizzy.  Who wants to drink insipid tea when strong java is the thing that gets you moving in the morning?  If a person has a dog they habitually let the dog out for its morning run and when you hear loud noises, yelping and such there goes the day.  You know the critter has got into some kind of trouble, either encountering a skunk, a coyote or a sharp stick that slices through her pelt.  Have breakfast, brush you teeth and your hair, get dressed, put on makeup, make lunch, start the car.  Regular routines for most of us.  When something goes out of kilter it can turn a person’s day around.
            Habits they say take 3 weeks to develop but I would venture to say that good habits take 3 weeks or more to develop.  A bad habit takes only a couple of tries and you are sunk.  Getting into the habit of exercising takes forever to become addicted, but discovering a new chocolate can take three bites and then you are hooked.  Gotta have that Toblerone.  Now.  Have you discovered a new licorice lately?  Are you still dreaming about it and wondering when you can get someone to go to Europe to get it for you?  You get the picture.  Food addictions are cravings of such magnitude it is amazing.
            I am on one of these extreme diets where I am fascinating by my body and mind.  I do not feel hungry at all because my stomach is not rumbling or telling me “feed me”.  But my brain is crying out for that habit of havarti on toast and a cup of coffee with two teaspoons of sugar.  I have a satisfying dinner of asparagus, tomato and meat but I am accustomed to a coffee and a couple of cooks for dessert.  Oh but it is agitating to have this craving that has nothing to do with hunger.  I sympathize with addicts of tobacco, alcohol or whatever.  If a person can get antsy for a sweet I can only imagine what a drug would do to a person.
            So I work with new routines to get over the cravings by breaking old habits.  Off the coach I get – which isn’t really such a revelation as it should be.  How often have we been told it is terrible to eat in front of the television.  And how many of us do it?  Shudder, I don’t want to know.  But when new routines are destroyed by unreliable technology, I feel like tearing the computer out of the wall and throwing it through the window.  Instead, I will pout for three days.  Now there’s a habit to put a frown on anyone’s face.  Maybe that explains the stoic looks people wear on elevators?  There routine has been disrupted.

No comments:

Post a Comment