Sunday, October 23, 2011

Ten Eternal Questions

Some years ago I picked up a book of this title written by Zoe Sallis which poses the question to a variety of celebrities.  I look at the questions and wonder what my answers are. 
            1. What is your concept of God?
            2.  Do you think this life is all there is or do you believe in the afterlife?
            3. Do you accept the concept of Karma, in the sense of cause and effect?
            4.  What is your moral code, in relation to right and wrong?
            5.  Do you believe you have a destiny, and do you see yourself as here to fulfill it?
            6.  What has life taught you so far?
            7.  What advice or words of wisdom would you like to pass on to those close to you?
            8, Do you believe our survival on earth is being threatened?
            9. Who do you most admire in the world, historical or living?
            10  How do you find peace within yourself?
My best friend Silvia and I would often talk about fate, she believe in it and I didn’t because I felt that fate would mean you had no choices in your life.  We do have choices but now that I am older I can see that one’s character would in some ways push a person into a certain direction.  Nevertheless I don’t believe that we have a destiny in the sense that some of us are born for greatness while others are not.  Personality helps but there is also opportunity or luck if you will.  Are these opportunities pre-destined then?  I don’t believe so. 
A lot of the questions can go back to your concept of God.  Afterlife, Karma, Destiny, Survival of earth, perhaps also your moral code.  I don’t believe there is a right or wrong answer for God or any of the other questions because everyone has the right to chose for themselves what they wish to believe.  If a person wants to believe in Adam and Eve that is up to them.  If a person believes in reincarnation, that’s okay too.  I have often thought that what we personally believe may be what we ultimately live and receive.  Our brains are powerful engines and perhaps we create our own reality with our strong beliefs. 
What has life taught me so far?  Probably that life isn’t fair and that we have to make our own way in the world.  I read the celebrity answers and can agree with most of the comments made in the book as well.  We aren’t very bright if we haven’t learned a number of things along the way to 58 but choosing one lesson I think that of fairness is one of the most dramatic.  It’s simple but how many people still don’t get it.  I fight for fairness all the time so even though I realize that life isn’t fair I work to make it more so.  Is it a lost cause?  I don’t think so because for me this is part of the sense of right and wrong; then I just think I am fighting on the side of the angels.
What gives me peace of mind?  Doing the right thing.  How do I make peace with my inner self?  I’m still working on that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment