Monday, October 10, 2011

Thanksgiving

Canada’s Thanksgiving Day did not come about in the same tradition as the Americans' Thanksgiving.  However, Canada has had days of thanksgiving as far back as the late 1500’s but our official holiday began in 1957 by a declaration of Parliament to celebrate the harvest and what we have today.  Interestingly the Maritimes don’t celebrate it although New Brunswick observes it.
            I enjoy the colours and smells of Thanksgiving and find the displays of pumpkins, corn and squashes of all kinds charming.  These displays have a welcoming hospitality that really adds to the idea of giving thanks.  In Canada we have so much to be thankful for that we may simply be taking for granted.  For instance we do live in a country of great abundance which is evidenced in our grocery stores.  Our nation has been safe from attack for decades and in fact hasn’t been invaded since the War of 1812.  As you well know I don’t consider our social structure to be perfect by any means but still our system is superior to that of the United States.  We do still have free Health Care and Education and Old Age Pensions.  We have heat, electricity and communication on demand.  We have freedom of speech and the freedom to travel where we wish.  We are a very fortunate country. 
            I give thanks for my wonderful family and friends.  For my excellent job, great boss, wonderful and supportive colleagues.  I give thanks for the ability to enjoy the things I love to do such as reading, writing, gardening, travelling, photography.  I give thanks that I haven’t broken my legs yet in zumba class.  I give thanks for my 4 wonderful critters, Cherie, Thumper, Harold and Arnold.
            Most of all I give thanks for having had such wonderful parents as my Mom and Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment