Sunday, October 30, 2011

Wine & Words Writers' Retreat

What can I say except that Karen is a genius as a writing coach.  Having reviewed the work I have been doing over the last 6 months she set me down for a one on one session and gave me quality critique on my haphazard writing style.  During our pre-conference discussion I mentioned to her that what I wanted to take away from this weekend was a clear path to improve the quality of my writing.
 Mission accomplished.
I have a clear understanding of why I felt my writing lacked clear quality.  I was almost schizophrenic in my style and by that I mean I was trying to be a storyteller and at the same time be a teacher.  Drop the teaching, if you are doing your job as a storyteller the reader will get the lesson.  No need to insult them by pointing them in that direction.
Really?  That makes my work so much easier!  Thank  you!
The retreat hasn't been all work, although Karen has definitely been encouraging us to work in 90 minute increments but when Jane said "let's call it a day" at 4:00 I was the first to plunge into the hot tub.  I waited patiently for the girls to signal wine but they were soooo vanilla.  However we made up for it after our fabulous potluck dinner when  we truly made it a wine and words weekend.  What an interesting, fun loving trio of ladies I have spent this weekend with.
Karen, next retreat, I am so there with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment