Monday, October 24, 2011

Sorting Things Out

The November issue of O has a terrific article about discovering what you really want to be doing with your life.  It even has a workbook to get you started on finding what you are really good at.  I took a quick look at it last night before I went to bed and I had the same freezing moments as when I get asked “put down your long term goals”.  Analyzing one’s self is not my strong suit, particularly when it comes in the form of a questionnaire.  Take stock of my strengths, eh.  Hmm.  Tap my motivaton.  I’ll do that as soon as I get unstuck.  Oh good, number for 4 - Go!
            I’m going to need a lot of time to study the questions and read the article thoroughly before I can even think to start the quiz.  Now you are probably thinking “but you love to write” and it’s true I love writing but is it what I’m really supposed to be doing?  How good am I at it really?  There are days when I feel drained of ideas and everything I write seems contrived or inarticulate.  I have doubts.
            It’s good to sort things out in your mind every once in a while but it can be such a painful exercise because it’s important not to lie to yourself as you are doing it.  It’s also important to be clear from other distractions and upsets while you are doing something which is essentially creative.  When one is burdened with the cares of life, with outside stresses, it’s hard to concentrate on being in a happy place.  For me it takes some time to shed the stress when the day to day cares become a bit overwhelming.  Once done I can shake myself off and start afresh.
            Meanwhile I hope you find your inner bliss!

No comments:

Post a Comment