Sunday, December 5, 2010

Cliches


It’s not easy to come up with observations on a daily basis. Blogging isn’t for the faint of heart or those who are going to give up for lack of an idea! So if this is a little lame today remember that I am giving it the old college try.


Which brings me to my topic. Cliches. I find that there are days where I am just a flowing river of clichés and other times I come out with some outrageous or original lines of my own. Case in point, on my last Girls Weekend with, naturally, my girlfriends I was telling an anecdote that started with “All my mother’s daughters have . . . “ when I got stopped by Rose.


“Your ‘mother’s daughters’, why wouldn’t you say ‘my sisters’?”


I was taken aback because I hadn’t realized that I had used that phrase though it was one I used often enough to feel confused. Only Rose would pull my up short and call me on this unusual phrase. Before any of us could help ourselves we were talking about our father’s father and our mother’s sons. The anecdote was forgotten. (not really but since it involved the call of nature in a roadside ditch we’ll leave it for another time).


I bravely go on using that term as well as words like “nutbar” and “cheesed off” and one day they will likely be as common as “shady side of 40” and “paler shade of white”. If your day is a little dull “give it the old college try” and come up with your own unique phrase. Who knows, you may see it here first!


No comments:

Post a Comment