Friday, December 31, 2010

The Year in Review



So let’s be methodical about this:

  • January 2010 – weight jumped dramatically and sent me into a tailspin. Started my eleventh year commuting to Calgary.
  • February 2010 – I went to Mexico for the first time, with my sister Charlotte. Loved the shopping, the temperature was perfect, wrote a lot of haiku. Third anniversary with my company.
  • March 2010 – back to miserable weather in Calgary.
  • April 2010 – my brother Erik moved in permanently (started the move back in February)
  • May 2010 – my annual girls’ weekend in B.C. What a beautiful place to live, spring starts so early.
  • June 2010 – started the great adventure – 6 phases to my cement driveway; enjoyed my sunroom immensely. My sister Jeanette came to visit, we went to Banff with our nephew.
  • July 2010 – enjoying the sunroom as summer is tepid.
  • August 2010 – relaxing at home. My great-nephew Scott was born on the last day of August. Final milestone celebration with the project, went to Banff Springs Hotel for a weekend, all expenses paid.
  • September 2010 – milestone at work, First Steam on the facility I helped build. Forty first anniversary of my friendship with Silvia and forty second with my friend Ninette.
  • October 2010 – I go to NYC for the very first time on a wild shopping spree. What a ride! Also made commitment to go to Ecuador in January.
  • November 2010 – started up my blog in a serious way. Eighth anniversary of The Awesome Chicks Book Club.
  • December 2010 – got a handle on my weight loss; finished all my vaccinations for my trip to South America and began the packing and shopping. Enjoyed family and friends.

I did quite a bit of traveling but otherwise my life is not very adventurous or exciting but then whose is? I am sure that celebrities’ lives are generally pretty much like ours; they just seem glamorous because that’s what the media shows us. Day to day, I go to work and that work is rather mediocre but the company I work for builds and produces facilities for oil and gas which is valued added business. So it is, in a roundabout way, meaningful work. I give emotional support to my family, especially my mother. I read a lot and enjoy books with a number of interesting women in our book club. I mentor a few women at work and outside of work and that is perhaps my proudest moments.



Over the years I’ve cared for a number of cats and dogs and they are treasured pets and memories.



All in all, I am a very lucky person with a small but valuable life. I feel blessed. My cup runneth over.



This is a painting my grandfather purchased many years ago. It speaks to me.

2 comments: