Saturday, December 25, 2010

Christmas Day - Merry Christmas


I’m up later than usual and I miss my rice pudding breakfast. Mother asked me if she couldn’t bring it to my house in the morning when they will be coming for lunch. We are going to have traditional Danish open face sandwiches, lots of fish. I will probably make a hot dish (crostaire, puff pastry with chicken and peas and carrots in a sort of stew).


Last night we had a cosy dinner of duck, red cabbage, potatoes and excellent gravy, and some carrots. We tried to have a long and lingering supper and did break our record of 5 minutes. We went to 20 which was pretty grand for us. Mom and I did dishes and I have no idea what Erik and John did, I think they just sat around and played the role of useless male to perfection. Erik and I played the Guessing Game before supper and afterwards we just chatted about stuff and til we were rested up enough to go for coffee. Still held off the dessert until after we opened up the presents. I think all three were shocked by my gifts, but in a good way. John got a Kindle and Mom and Erik got Fuji digital cameras. I was happy to see them happy. I got spoiled too.


Earlier in the day I had made a trip in to High River to do some banking and as the credit union wasn’t opened right away I stopped in at my favorite place. Art Effects. It’s dangerous to go in there but yesterday was even more so. 40% off everything in the store. I was hoping to get this picture I had been coveting all year but it wasn’t there. I looked and looked and couldn’t see it. Then I looked at another one which I really liked, it was a little girl with a reindeer and looked very Scandinavian. I was on the brink of taking it when I looked up towards the ceiling and shouted out “there it is”. MJ laughed because she had looked for it the minute she saw me walk in the door and also hadn’t been able to find it. She knew what I came for! It’s a picture of 3 aboriginal women and the last one has on a traditional bay striped blanket coat. It’s framed exactly like the one I had made up (copying this picture) of my Mexican parchment. Since I’ve been dissatisfied with my hanging of this picture I have wanted the aboriginal one to balance the wall. That’s what Erik and I will be doing this morning, little though he knows it.


While there I also found 2 gorgeous Thomas Kinkade Christmas pictures so I got those as well. While MJ’s husband Barry was framing them for me I called Charlotte to make sure she was home and told her I would stop by with some Timmies a little later in the morning. We had such a cosy coffee timeout that she wouldn’t let me go so I ended up being quite late to Mom’s. She was really happy for the picture which went perfectly with her burgundy Christmas décor.


This morning I did the traditional Sanne thing, I opened up all my presents from my Canadian friends. This way I get two Christmases and get to experience both ways of having Christmas. I’ve been doing this since I moved into this house. Each year I am richer on Christmas Day than Christmas Eve which kind of makes it fun.


To all my dear friends, family, colleagues and followers – may you have a very Merry Christmas. Please be safe and smart. Don’t drink and drive. Remember, it can happen to anyone. Be safe!


p.s. Down another 0.6 - I am amazed. Just following the messages from my tummy and my brain - "no more".

1 comment: