Monday, March 12, 2012

Growing Mature

One doesn’t like to think about growing older so saying I am growing mature sounds awkward but politically correct.  Sort of.
       Moving toward some significant milestones is ground breaking for our generation because we are the ones who can, and will, make being Sixty 60, 60, 60 and being Retired something to aspire to.  We are going to make both a round number and Capital R Retirement be interesting and essentially a second career.  At least, that is the plan I am working on.  I realize that even now most people have their head in the sand or the clouds when it comes to aging or retiring.  I am shocked to hear people of my generation not thinking about what they are going to do once they stop working. 
       This morning I was chatting with a friend who has past his 65th birthday and he is more active than he ever was when he was working full time.  He has a seasonal job and he also works with a service club all year round.  He has friends from overseas that visit him every few years and he takes interesting vacations as they come up.  Today we talked about the opportunity of advanced learning but he says “I’m not there yet” meaning he has enough on his plate with having to do homework!
       I really think it is exciting to know that there are a great many opportunities available to a retiree that cost little or nothing.  Particularly for those who live in cities where the advantages are endless.  There is more challenge for me in my country place but I still have made some plans and working on a few more.  Currently I am exercising my brain by taking on extra reading in my chosen field because I am planning to take my Masters as soon as it is “free”.  The cost of doing it now is prohibitive.
       Exercising the brain is really quite exhausting, it’s almost as hard as getting on the treadmill.  It’s a good thing I am starting early because if I wait any longer I may not be able to get a good mark in my chosen field.  That would be humiliating.

No comments:

Post a Comment