Saturday, March 24, 2012

Life 101

In high school we had a weekly class called “Guidance” and when I try to recall what was taught in those classes I essentially come up blank.  Whatever the teacher was trying to convey to us obviously was dry as paint and did not stick in my mind at all, and I was the type of student who actually paid attention in class.  Today they call it “Life Skills” but when I asked my nieces and nephews what they are learning in that class I raise an eyebrow and shake my head.  Here’s what I think they need to learn:
        Financial advice.  And the way to grab their attention is to illustrate by examples that will mean something to them.  How much do you have to save to buy a really great car, or how much does it cost to redecorate your bedroom to be ultra cool.  Show them what a real paycheque looks like, with all the deductions.  Talk to them about where those deductions go.
        Pension plans, are they relevant to a 14 year old?  No.  But tell them what their grandmother is living on and it may touch their soul.  Explain to them what their parents may be sacrificing in order to buy them designer jeans and great running shoes.
        Another great piece of real life experience; talk to them about a part time job while they are still in school.  You won’t have deductions because they are under 18.  Once they begin a permanent job they may be given a pile of documents from the Human Resources department (if they are so lucky).  Tell them to review it and consult with a savvy adult (not one of their friends, talk to their parents or another adult who they respect).  Why?  It is shocking how many young people don’t read or pay attention to the documents and end up missing out on matched RRSP savings, matched share saving plans, and other benefits.  Explain to them what matching means.
        Finances aside, what other things do people need to lead a well rounded life?  They need to live a life of grace, dignity, happiness and respect.  I am truly dismayed to see the abundance of reality television that rewards bad behaviour.  This weekend the movie The Hunger Games debuted, loved the book, I’m sure I will love the movie so don’t get me wrong when I say, how many people will ponder the idea that possibly this is something that could very well happen in a future world if it keeps going along this path?  I wonder if people reflect on the Republican leadership race and question what values do these people really bring to Washington.  I have trouble accepting that a person can advocate Christian values at the same time that they resent paying taxes that may partially support the elderly, sick, poor or underprivileged.  I have trouble with any country or any party or any individual who expounds democracy internationally and yet doesn’t deliver at home.
        My point?  I think schools are second to the home in giving our young people values and I am concerned that not enough is done to encourage high values in deportment.  From my point of view, as in business, so in schools, hospitals, government, lead by example.  If our leader, be it our Prime Minister, Chief of Staff or Principal, has high ideals, demonstrates dignity, grace, care and respect for those who follow or are under him/her, you are going to get the best out of your people.
        That’s what guidance is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment