Friday, July 8, 2011

Bring It On

There was a movie with this name about cheerleaders a few years ago which was all about excellence and competition. Girl stuff. I like that phrase, it is challenging but also fun.


Last night I was reading my Zoomer magazine which was loaded with articles about How To Be 100. Did you know there were 6,000 centenarians in Canada? The oldest documented person was 122 years old and 164 days? Impressive. She gave up smoking at 117! Just like the documentary Barbara Walters did a few years ago the findings have something similar – joy of living and a sense of humour. Well I have both in spades so I should be good for 116 don’t you think?


If only my doctors would agree. And there is the nub of the matter. Taking care of one’s health has to become a priority if you “have a plan” (that’s my code for living to 116). I know what I need to do, eating healthy, exercising in moderation and going to the doctor(s) regularly. The last two I am fine with and generally do the correct things. But the eating healthy is difficult for me, mostly because I am lazy but give myself the excuse that I am tired, it’s not easy to cook for one (throwing away fruits and vegetables is wasteful) and so on and so on. Some people can get away with being sloppy with their diet but I am not one of them.


I’m not beating myself up today because I have actually been very good over the last few months. The only thing left to do is give up sweets but I don’t know that that will happen. But cutting down, this I can do.


It’s a gorgeous morning in the countryside, the sun is shining, there is a slight breeze to cool down the day, the grass is green and the sky is blue. Today the plan is to buy the longed for barbeque and a new riding lawn mower. I’m hoping we can fit both into the truck but if not it will be a two-tripper. Things are coming together.


So summer – bring it on!


No comments:

Post a Comment