Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Middle Age to Elderly?



When I was a little girl I thought 60 was the turning point from middle age to being old. In fact I was still defining the end of middle age at 60 when I was in my 40’s. I am now 58 and the new old age is getting pushed back to 70. Look at Susan Lucci and Goldie Hawn, they are in their 60’s and they don’t look old. Okay, so I may not be as svelt or unlined as them but let’s face it botox and other forms of plastic surgery have assisted these ladies.


But old age isn’t simply about looks, in fact its only a very minor part of being old. Old is thinking old, feeling old and acting old. I’m pretty sure that I only have minor abrasions of old in those categories. I still enjoy challenges with new technologies (perhaps enjoy is too generous, but I work with the challenges). And yes, my joints may be a bit creaky as I get out of bed in the morning but a few stretches and I am ready to go. Acting old? I still enjoy teasing, good jokes and running under the sprinkler in my underwear.


Society talks about respecting the elderly but it is mere lip service. Commercials still ignore the elderly or they poke fun at them. More seriously, nursing homes are under staffed which leads to neglect of the elderly folks in these homes. How can we afford to put money into hockey arenas before health care that includes staffing nursing homes and other centres for the elderly? Let’s all of us remember that this destiny is also ours. Inevitably we come to the point where our families cannot take care of us adequately and they have no choice but to put us into a place that can better care for our needs.


Yesterday I watched part of Dr. Oz and the program happened to be his Power Hour for healthy living. Essentials for longevity included diet, & exercise - no smoking as another and I can’t remember the other 2 things. In the diet segment he talked about 5 vibrant coloured fruits and vegetables; apple juice, bananas, almonds; sweet potatoes; coffee and vinegar; protein drinks of various fruits and vegetables. All things I have heard a hundred times before and while I still have My Plan I must say that it is a bit discouraging to think about longevity when my destiny may take me into a nursing home where I won’t be cared for 100%.


So how much is enough to take a person to extreme old age with first class care? I’m only a regular person but I feel entitled to first class care in my old age. Don’t you?


1 comment:

  1. The abdominal exercise equipment comes in a wide assortment. They're readily available in a number of forms; each has a role to play in abdominal training.

    ReplyDelete