Saturday, July 16, 2011

A Real Summer Day



Now this is what I call a real summer day, when you wake up to daylight and it is 5:30 a.m. When you walk outside in your bare feet and you don’t get frost bite. When the grass is green and there is no dew on it. When the trees are perfectly still and the birds are just beginning to start their morning song. When the sunrise spreads pink fingers across the sky. When the house is fresh and clean and smells like “company’s coming”. Yes, all is well with the world when you anticipate 26 degrees Celsius on a Saturday morning.


Now for the less encouraging news. We got the BBQ assembled by 10 p.m. last night (yes it was a two parter) and then we pressed the ON button. We could hear the propane whizzing through the pipes but it didn’t seem to flare up. I asked Erik if we should light a match. He grinned and said “no guts, no glory” just like Garfield but neither of us really dared to do it. So here it is going on 6 a.m. and I am thinking that I will be broiling my marinated steaks rather than barbecuing them as I am fearful of this big monster that sits magnificent and shiny out on the patio. Now my buddy Neal can have his laugh on me when I told him this was a Girls Event. Lesson learned, when you are planning a barbecue be sure to include men. They are all over the equipment. This is when they are in their glory. If I had been thinking properly I would have remembered that and instead of worrying about meat I could be baking the banana cream, lemon meringue and cherry pies to keep up their manly strength.


However I am woman and I always have a second strategy. I’ve got an oven, a spare BBQ and Options! And I happen to have a grocery store 5 minutes away so all is under control. The plan is to enjoy every minute with all these fantastic friends. Everything else is ‘manyana’.


No comments:

Post a Comment