Sunday, July 17, 2011

Such is Life



After a superb Saturday where everything came together to make a perfect day I had planned to spend a tranquil Sunday enjoying the lovely country weather. My sister joined me for mid-morning coffee and leftover buns from the barbecue yesterday. We putzed around, she was cleaning her truck and I was cutting some grass in corners here and there. Then we sat and lazed about, ate some cherries and talked. At noon Charlotte headed off to pick up her husband somewhere on their lease (he was driving cattle and being a cowboy). I went in to have some lunch and noticed a message on my machine.


So much for lunch and tranquility. I was off to the hospital after hearing from one brother that the other had knocked himself out in some accident. Oh boy, here we go. I didn’t know if it was a car accident or if he had been riding his bike because Erik had taken off before I got up this morning. A rare occurrence but there you have it. Just as I entered town I saw John and mom going the other way so i got the scoop from them at the roadside. Apparently Erik had been out for a long run with having eaten a proper breakfast and even though he headed out early it was still too hot. He got a cramp in his leg just as he got back to his truck, tried to stretch it out and then passed out and knocked his head on the sidewalk. Lucky for him a passerby found him and called the ambulance.


So I headed off to the hospital on a mercy call and tried to discover when they would release him. Instead of telling me anything about that they started grilling me about his residence, health care insurance and so forth. I was really surprised because they knew I was his sister and why would they be asking me these questions when he was supposedly coherent? I found it odd but eventually I got to go see him. He was groggy but okay. So I ran some errand after the visit and got home, resigned to being called late in the day to come and get him. As it turned out I no sooner got in the door than Erik called and said I could come pick him up. I had a quick bite of lunch only 2 hours after planning to eat and then drove back to town. Then I drove him home and then went out to my mother to reassure her that he was home – and bring her a bunch of flowers for her pots as her first batch had died (naughty cat peeing in the beds).


To cap it all off, just as I was leaving John pointed out that I had a screw in my brand new tire and encouraged me to change it as soon as I got home. Like that was going to happen! Some other time I will tell you the story of my one and only flat tire. But as of right now, I am not changing any tires. This means going to work late tomorrow because I will have to wait until the shop opens. I don’t think it would be right to ask Erik to change my tire after his concussion.


So just as things are running along in perfect order, things happen to disrupt the smooth course of my day!


Such is life.


P.S. Erik is fine.










No comments:

Post a Comment