Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Royal Visit Eminent

The media is stirring up excitement for Will and Kate but I think there is a genuine feeling of love for this young couple. William has grown up in the public eye, adored for himself as much as his mother Diana and his chosen bride seems very sweet. Like the rest of the world I truly hope they have a long and happy marriage. Calgary is always wild and busy during Stampede Week but this year we have the added cache of having the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge here. It’s going to be a zoo on the roads starting Thursday but this too shall pass!


I have a cute story. Going home last week Lisa began speaking of the visit by saying “when the Duch and Duchess . . . . “ and we started laughing so hard we never did hear the rest of the story. It was just one of those slips of memory that came out but it was so cute and also perfectly normal. I remember thinking when I was young “why a duchess and not a dukess?” It is after all Count and Countess; Viscout and Viscountess; Prince and Princess. Yes, yes, King and Queen – but that is quite different, isn’t it?


Words are funny things. Remember my little swanlings – or rather cygnets? Ducks and ducklings; chickens and chicks; and then these little cygnets. Why? Because too much perfection and fluidity is boring. We need to shake things up a bit.


Myself, I shall be enjoying my day off during Parade Day. I shudder to think of the crowds that will be bustling about the downtown core on Friday. I will watch from afar.

No comments:

Post a Comment