Thursday, July 7, 2011

I Am Woman, Hear Me Roar



Years ago I was told by our family company’s accountant that “I could be intimidating”. I was considerably shocked at that statement because I had always considered myself a pretty mild kind of person. However his subordinate had used that as an excuse for not doing her work and I straightened that out pretty quickly (and just making that statement does make me sound a little intimidating, doesn't it?) I think being told one is “intimidating” is rather aggressive behaviour on the one doing the talking or perhaps I am being defensive because it isn’t a very attractive characteristic to be talked about? At the time I was in my mid thirties so if I was intimidating back then, what am I now?


If a woman has confidence it can sometimes be off putting to certain people, male or female. If a woman knows her job well, or her subject well, again, it can make other people uncomfortable. If a woman expresses her opinion with confidence or enthusiasm it can again be disturbing to others. And if you change that from “woman” to “man” everything changes. Then he is passionate about his work, intelligent and dynamic. What a difference a word makes. It is still a very sexist world out there but give yourself a little shake and edit your thought processes today. Look at the women around you today with fresh eyes and see if they are passionate, intelligent and dynamic rather than a bitch.


I’m not sure why I picked this subject this morning because I am certainly not feeling intimidating nor has there been any conversation about this theme in ages. I feel quite the opposite, relaxed and ready for a long weekend. But yes, I am confident and enthusiastic and nobody better mess with me. But all in a nice way. J

No comments:

Post a Comment