Wednesday, May 18, 2011

From School to Retirement




Right now I am living from event to event, anticipating the pleasures of my travels. Winnipeg, Salmon Arm, San Francisco. It reminds me of high school when we lived from start of school, to Christmas, to Easter and then to summer vacation. Patterns from childhood are hard to break. It’s a concern that I have upon retiring, what will I be anticipating then?


When I had my last talk with the retirement consultant I told him that since I’d determined that I would go within four years he asked how I felt about that. Relief, I said. And liberated. Barring the unforeseen I had made a decision that I was comfortable with and while I am not exactly second guessing myself I am wondering how that new life will evolve. Sure I have hobbies and things I want to do but I can assign my own goal date to them. How do I make it so they aren’t moving targets?


Yes, I am making retirement sound more complex than it should be but I think that it’s important to be prepared for the strangeness of not having to get up in the morning. Some of my classmates are now retired and seem to have figured things out. One said she was living her dream life when she was in Florida, taking dances lessons, sun bathing and socializing with nice people. It sounds lovely and I’m glad to hear that some people have it figured out. Others though are just living day to day without a plan.


And there it is. I need structure. I need a plan. As my family will tell you, there is always a plan even when I go shopping. First here, then there and no deviations. Okay, maybe I am not quite so anal but it’s close. I like things to go a certain way. I like my plans.


Despite my hesitation I am really looking forward to this new phase in my life and I think I do have a plan of sorts set out. The biggest goal in the plan is Be Happy. And that is one goal I never have a problem reaching.



Candy from the M&M Store in NYC

1 comment: