Thursday, May 19, 2011

Life Changes, World Upside Down




My life is being altered for the worse by this new “highway realignment” which began two weeks ago and by October the highway will be running 500 m across the front of my house. I am seriously depressed. It will cut off my direct access to the golf course, it will destroy my usual morning walk, it will remove all the natural wonders of the countryside around my place. I am seriously annoyed.


I first heard about this about 5 years ago and they kept telling me “it may happen in 5 years, 30 years or never”. Yeah, right. I knew from the start that it would be useless to appeal and as I was in the final part of a legal battle with my neighbour over the infamous 9 feet I was too tired to take on City Hall, so to speak. In this case it would have been the province which has decided that it would be ideal to have a Super Highway run from the United States up to Fort McMurray. Because every country should lay out the red carpet for an alien nation, don’t you know? It’s like saying “welcome in, go ahead and rape me, the pleasure is all mine”. As I’ve said before, the lightbulb has never been turned on in this province.


You know how much I dislike change but this is more than “change” – this is turning my world upset down. But as I was driving down the scaled down highway (very disconcerting to see cars coming at you on the bridge) I thought to myself “at least it’s happening when I’m still young. I just hope I remember when I’m 86 that this has happened and don’t start thinking I’m back in 1980” . Wouldn’t that be something?


That’s me, always thinking ahead.





This is a graveyard at Windermere, England

No comments:

Post a Comment