Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Ideas



Where do ideas come from? Is it just some stimuli to the brain or is there an actual process that pushes thoughts forward? At this time of the morning my brain is too sluggish to come up with a conclusion or search for memory. Circumstances around me have made me sluggish in mind and body and that is a desperate place to be. Too much water in the basement, miserable forecast in the offing, looking at my weight, I just want to pull the covers over my head and disappear!


Where is the eternal optimist now? Well, perhaps with a cup of coffee it will start to creep out. Mmm, already feeling better.


I get a lot of ideas when I’m driving to work in the mornings and one of them was going to be titled “I’ve Got a Horn and I Know How to Use It”. This pertains to my use of the horn when someone passes me without signalling. It drives me nuts. I just think, how lazy is that, to not be able to flick a finger to signal. Last time I checked signalling was not an option on a car. SUVs are the worst. They seem to think they are king of the road and swerve in and out of traffic with nary a red signal. I get particularly annoyed with the fools roaring out of Okotoks near the Deerfoot interchange. Not only do they not signal, they pass on the inside lane, outside lane, weaving in and out for the one kilometre race to get to the Deerfoot before Harry the Hound. One can only assume they have a fantasy of being in the Indy 500 because no one is in that big a hurry to get to work or the lineup at Tim Horton’s.


When someone tells me they live in Okotoks I give them an appraising look and mentally my eyebrows are raised “So you are one of THOSE, are you?” I think. To protect myself at the cluster I will drive on the outside lane both going to work and coming home. Nine times out of ten the speed demons are the ones who desperately merge into (or out of) Okotoks and I just want to be well out of their way. I know it’s not correct driving to be going slow’ish on the outside lane but how does a sane person keep pace with someone pelting down the highway at 140 km per hour? There’s reason in all things, I say. I also say “Get up earlier and beat me to the punch, pal.” And I say “Who made you so important that I have to pace myself after you, nutbar?” Oh yes, I have a whole string of choice comments for these yahoos.


But the best one is,


“I’ve got a horn and I know how to use it.” Toot.


No comments:

Post a Comment