Thursday, May 12, 2011

One More Sleep and I'm So Distracted

I talked to Liz last night and she said that the energy is in the air which she felt when she went to the school to pick up the tickets for the EVENTS. I was madly packing just before I called her and stopped myself because I was afraid I would lose track of time if I kept going. Now here I am this morning doing the last minute packing and wondering what I will be forgetting because sure as shooting I will forget something.


After graduation I worked all summer on the bacon line at Burns Foods and then in September I went to Denmark on my long awaited trip to see my beloved grandmother and aunt. I had broken up with George in August so I was a little depressed when I first got there but my cousins started taking me to discothèques and before I knew it I was having a blast. I was very popular with my cousins’ friends which didn’t hurt my feelings at all. I think a lot of kids from my class went to Europe that summer, it was the thing to do but I had no idea about that. For me it was simply natural to want to go “home” to see my relatives. My cousin Birthe and I sailed across to Sweden for the day and on my return trip the plane landed at Glasgow airport for a half hour. That was the extent of my trekking through Europe!


Returning home after 4 months I found myself unwilling to go to university right away so I went into the work force for 3 years before attending the University of Waterloo. I managed to luck out there because I only had to go 3 years to get my B.A. instead of 4. Because I had been working for a while I was very focused on the ‘in and out’ procedure of attending university. I was there to get my degree and get back to work. That has been my life now for over 40 years, to simply move on to the next thing and work, work, work. To think that from kindergarten to grade 12 was the longest stint of one’s life and the Afterwards goes by in the blink of an eye seems incomprehensible in terms of numbers but for me at least that is how time has progressed.


All my classmates will be approaching 58 if they aren’t already there but just in our talks and emails I know that not one of us feels older than, oh 21 maybe! It’s terrific to be young at heart and I am so looking forward to seeing them all again. I can hardly wait.


And oh tonight while I stay over in Calgary I get the chance to go out drinking with some of my colleagues. I’m not sure that is such a good thing. I’m supposed to get up again at 4 a.m. to catch the plane. I suggested to Blaine seeing the new Jane Eyre would be a good thing. His silence leads me to believe that Thor or The Green Lantern would be a better idea. Men. No idea of the romance of things.



1 comment: