Sunday, May 1, 2011

Day Three - Home Stretch


This is the final day of my Writer’s Retreat and I already can say that it has been a very fulfilling experience. It has definitely reinforced my desire to write and has given a pathforward on one particular story that I have thought would be good to write. Yesterday we did a lot of writing exercises and then Karen taught us a lot about editing and graphic design. Today we are going to learn more about the publishing world. I must confess that I feel a little bit like a pretender when we talk about publishing and yet, OF COURSE, I want to be a published author. But I feel a bit shy about it too. I think this is one of those moments where Jennifer would say “Get out of your own way”.

I confessed to the room on Friday that I still have bad habits (LOL) that hold me back so here I go with one of them. The retreat is supposed to go to 5 or 6 but with the long drive back home I really feel I must leave no later than 1 which will get me home around 4. I just need that time to unwind on a Sunday night before I go to work tomorrow. If I land at home at 7 or 8 I know I will not be able to get to sleep and I will be bagged tomorrow. Sometimes discretion is the better part of valour.

So forget my bad habits, I can work on them in a different context and just keep the energy flowing from this weekend. One thing, I still hate this netbook’s spacebar which just doesn’t seem to want to work. I should NOT have to whack it to get a space between my words. Karen asked us not to edit but I just had to put those spaces in place, it drove me nuts. OK another habit but STILL, who could understand run-on-words? It will be better on my home computer, I can free write without having to edit. I took so many notes on ideas that I can write for some days.

And now, brush my teeth, get dressed and go for another walk. This time with camera!

No comments:

Post a Comment