Friday, May 6, 2011

Windsor Park Collegiate



In one week I am headed to my high school reunion in Winnipeg which coincides with our school’s 50th anniversary. Technically it is the schools 51st but I think they’ve hoaxed the alumni into celebrating the first graduates’ 50th reunion together! At least, that’s my take on the miscalculation. Our class doesn’t care because at little cost to us we are able to celebrate our 40th at the same time – and ours is the correct number.


I remember a TV movie with Barbara Rush and David Janssen where they meet as 40 somethings at their high school reunion. I think that’s the first time I’d ever heard of a high school reunion (I was maybe 16) but I thought it was cool that they told each other they had a crush on the other while they were in school (and of course they fell in love again). Unfortunately it turned out that her brother was a werewolf so they had problems getting together.


While I’m pretty sure nothing like that will happen to me I do know that several couples did reconnect at our 25th and 30th reunions which I think is very romantic. But now we are getting into the grandparent age and while it would be fun to do the Betty White act that I saw last night on “Hot in Cincinnati” I really don’t think I could carry it off without laughing myself into stitches. When she said “butterscotch do your stuff” I had no idea what she was up to but as she proceeded to open a package of butterscotch candies in the most seductive way the lightbulb went on. Oh my goodness but she was funny.


I will be content to revisit with some of my old friends and develop friendships that first began at the 25th reunion. That’s one of the things that I found truly wonderful with our reunion as we connected for the first time with some of the people that had been in our class for years. My best friend Silvia had gone to school with most of the students from kindergarten and for some reason that surprised me. I was forgetting that she had immigrated to Winnipeg when she was 3 years old and of course she would have gone to the same school throughout. Me, I had been in 9 different schools by the time I graduated high school. Toronto, Hamilton, Stoney Creek, Grimsby (2), Burlington (2), Winnipeg and Montreal and back to Winnipeg again (same school). I always swore that if I had kids they would stay in the school from beginning to end. It wasn’t so bad moving when I was a youngster but when I got to high school it was devastating. The kids I’d been to school with from grade 3 through grade 8 were the ones that I was meant to be with through high school and the dating years. Suddenly I was on the Prairies learning French and New Math at the same time Bruce Johnson was asking me if I was a virgin. It was TOO MUCH.


More on my education tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment