Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Girlhood Values



Balancing this theme of thinking with tough subjects and light fare is certainly a challenge but “I’ll give it the old college try”.  In fact it is rather fun to work the brain in both directions but to do it on the same day is a little mind boggling!  Oh yes, puns intended (I grin). 
I pulled out my old Girl Guide Handbook and found myself delighting in the reading.  I was amazed to see I had a First Edition of the 1965 handbook.  Then I got a real surprise (since I do not recall learning about this “back in the day”) but February 22 is THINKING DAY in the Guiding world!  Who knew?  I was on a roll for sure in this book review!

What has really impressed me is how much I have lived The Promise and The Law without even being conscious of it.  I don’t say that to brag on myself but rather to impress on my readers how really valuable Guides and Scouts are in helping to develop young people’s characters for the long haul.  Core values such as being obedient and trustworthy, helping other people, mentoring others and valuing nature to name a few.


The Promise:  I promise, on my honour, to do my best; to do my duty to God, the Queen and my country, to help other people at all times, to obey the Guide Law.
The Law:·         A Guide’s honour is to be trusted·         A Guide is loyal·         A Guide is useful and helps others·         A Guide is a friend to all and a sister to every Guide·         A Guide is courteous·         A Guide is kind to animals and enjoys the beauty of nature·         A guide is obedient·         A Guide smiles and sings even under difficulty·         A Guide is thrifty·         A Guide is pure in thought, word and deed.

The Motto:  Be Prepared

I remember there was a song that encased the Guide Law and I used to sing that to myself often even when I was older and I still remember most of the words and the rushed melody (in some parts).  I think most families had these same core values and Guiding just helped reinforce what parents were teaching their children.  As well, schools had a role in reinforcing what we were learning at home.  I do think that is different today.   
“The real way to get happiness is by giving out happiness to other people.”  Lord Baden-Powell

 

No comments:

Post a Comment