Saturday, July 21, 2018

Golly, Golly, golly


Day 21 with 10 days to go and yep, I am feeling frantic.  What more is there to say that doesn’t regurgitate what I have already written?   
I am taking the deep dive now into being somewhat critical of people – but it’s essential to this theme.  I happened to look at a stranger’s comment on a Friend’s Facebook page.  This person didn’t want people to comment on politics because her blood pressure would go up.  This is where confidence in one’s thinking is important.  I know there are lots of people who don’t like arguing, debating, or even discussing controversial things but I take exception to asking people to refrain from making comments on the headliner comment (it was something to do with He Who Shall Not Be Named).  What I mean by that, if one of my friends posts a political comment (as the originator), I believe it is anyone who is a friend of theirs prerogative to comment --- why else would they post, and why are you friends.  Naturally I believe one ought to be civil about it (if you are in disagreement with them) – and if you really value the friendship perhaps you refrain.  But for a third or fourth person to make a comment and then get all hissy about someone else’s comment on the thread . . . sorry, that doesn’t seem acceptable to me. 
Here’s why . . . as I said earlier this month, one needs to build up one’s confidence in their thinking (opinion in this case).  If you don’t feel confident in discussing politics, either online or in person, well then say it up front – and online, just refrain and move on down the line, sweetheart.  Don’t get hissy with other people because they have an opinion (and God forbid it should be different from yours).  This is what makes the world go round and what makes life interesting.  OKAY, I know I am one of the few, the happy few, who enjoys “debating”.  I was raised on it and (I boast) I am pretty darn good at it.  J  I have confidence in what I think on politics and I am not afraid to show it.
At the same time, if someone wants to debate me on economics and currency I am going to be polite and say that I don’t know all that much about it, but I will listen to you, go away and look up “facts” and see if your analysis is valid.  I do my homework.  But I tell folks frankly if I don’t know much about something       . .  . I will listen.  I don’t wave my hands at them and say “stop, not appropriate, my blood pressure will go up”. 

What’s the new word they are using for weaklings?   “I am not a snowflake”.  J

“It’s not that I am so smart, it’s just that I stay with problems longer.”  Albert Einstein
   
 
 
 
  



 

No comments:

Post a Comment